Pages

About love&marriage goodeats Crafts contacts

Monday, March 11, 2013

Daily Sacrifices

Abraham has been on my mind a lot lately. I've found myself reading and rereading about his life, thinking of his daily routine, and his relationship with God. Here's some background info on Abraham for those that might not be as familiar with his life. 

Abraham, born Abram, is the son of Terah who is a 10th descendent of Noah. He had two brothers, Nahor and Haran. Haran's son is Lot, and since Haran died, Abram considered Lot to be like a son to him. Abram was married to Sarai and at the time had no children, as she was barren. Fast forward a few years to when his father passes away, Abram receives a message from God telling him to leave his home for a land that He would show to Him. He promised to make Abram a father of many nations.

"Now the Lord had said unto Abram, Get thee out of they country, and from thy kindred, and from they father's house, unto a land that I will shew thee: And I will make of thee a great nation, and I will bless thee, and make thy name great ; and thou shalt be a blessing: And I will bless them that bess thee, and curse them that curseth thee: and in thee shall allfamilies of the earth be blessed." Genesis 12:1-4

So Abram leaves his town, with his wife Sarai, their many servants, and his nephew Lot. He was 75 years old when this happens. A lot happens during the next few years but to fast forward a bit, Lot ends up leaving with his servants to go and live elsewhere, and eventually settles in Sodom. Since Abram's wife Sarai can't have children she tells him to take her maidservant, Hagar, to conceive a child with. They had a son named Ishmael when Abram is 86 years old. Several more time passes and if you have the chance to read about Abram, do it. During this time God changes Abram's name to Abraham, and Sarai's name to Sarah. Sarah also ends up having a child, though she was previously Barren. They name their son Isaac. 

This is where I wanted to get to, Abraham and his son Isaac. At some point during Isaac's childhood, Abraham is instructed by God to offer up Isaac as a sacrifice. For three days Abraham and Isaac traveled up the mountain to make the sacrifice. I think about this moment a lot. It wasn't a quick decision to do this. Abraham had to walk with his son for three days after being told to sacrifice him. He had to look upon the face of his son, he had to talk with his son. I can't even imagine this. In the end Abraham ends up not having to sacrifice his son, at the last second God provides a lamb for the sacrifice but only because Abraham was willing to do it. Can you imagine that? Trying to have a child with your spouse and it not happening until you were 100 years old? How many nights had Sarah asked the Lord and prayed to the Lord for a child. And here is Abraham, being told that he is going to have numerous children but only having one with his wife, and now being commanded to sacrifice him. 

This makes me reflect on my own life and what God commands of me. We all have felt that we can't do what God is asking us to at times. And it is only through Him that we have the strength to carry on and do His work. But I dont ever recall God telling me that I needed to kill my child. And to be truthful, I don't know if I would be able to have the strength or the faith like Abraham did, to actually go through with it. Which leads me to this point, that I am so thankful that God does not require that of me, or of us. All he wants from us is service and the rest will fall into place. If Abraham, who is flesh, and born with free-will like you and like me, can have enough faith to trust the Lord when He says to sacrifice his son, then surely I can do whatever he asks of me. 

And because Abraham was willing to sacrifice Isaac, the Lord blesses him. When his wife Sarah passes away, Abraham takes a new wife, Keturah, and with her they had six sons. God fulfilled his promise to Abraham, to bless him with many children, all because he was willing to do whatever God asked of him. 


No comments:

Post a Comment